Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mum's Kitchen.

The food carts in Portland rule. I finally went to the one super close to my house, Mum's Kitchen. It's owned by a woman who moved here from South Africa last year and she makes delicious South African/Indian food. She let me sample a ton of stuff and offered me a samoosa. While it was frying she asked if I'd ever been to South Africa. I said no and that I thought it wasn't safe for tourists. She replied that it wasn't, and that the violence was why she moved away. I think she said she was from Durban, which looks pretty cool.
When I got to work I skimmed the South Africa page on wikipedia. 52 people are murdered every day in South Africa. A woman born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped than learning how to read.

I had some idea of that when we were talking but I didn't know how to mention it. She said she hoped that the World Cup in 2010 would improve things. She also said that a lot of people from South Africa are living in Portland, and that they all flock to her cart on the days when she makes lamb samoosas. I'm excited to try them after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment