Sunday, October 18, 2009

Liepold Farms

Logan, Sophie, Lillian, and I drove to Boring, OR to get a pumpkin from Liepold Farms. I took a sippy cup with spiced apple cider. Logan and I were fighting, Sophie was going on one hour of sleep, Lillian was worried about inconveniencing a friend because we were running late. The person we were following kept taking the wrong exits and changing lanes with no warning. Traffic was backed up a mile away from the farm entrance. When we got there we all stood around not quite sure what to do. I got a pumpkin milk shake and felt disgusted with myself 2/3 of the way through. I gave it to Logan. I asked him to take a picture of me in my orange shirt in front of a giant pumpkin with a pumpkin patch in the background. He included my whole body in the picture. My body looked pale, lumpy, fat, shapeless. I yelled at him for taking the picture wrong. "What do you want to do?" he kept asking. I said "I don't know." I did know-- I wanted to lay down in my bed with the lights off and cover myself up with blankets and stay there forever. Not be standing in mud, surrounded by screaming kids, hating the feel of my clothes and my body. He walked away and I looked at my phone and thought of texting Dave. At that moment my mom called. I answered and she said "Nancy died" and I said "I was just about to send her a card" and I started crying, hard. Logan gave me a hug and moved my sunglasses to wipe off my smeared make-up. Lillian ran up and asked, "Want to go in the corn maze?" and I said "Yes" and I bought tickets to a hay ride, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment